Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The best laid plans....

So, we moved to Phoenix. This is one of those times, far easier said than done.
I had planned/hoped that while Dave was at school, that I would get the house packed, and loaded, and ideally cleaned by the time his plane landed Saturday am. Well, I got the house mostly packed and loaded, and the upstairs all clean, even with all of that, it took the two of us 8-10 hours to finish it off. While I knew it was ambitious to start with, I had forgotten how long it takes to scrub a fridge or oven to make it look like new. So Saturday night, we finish hooking up the trailer (to tow our Corrolla), and it's about 9 pm. We figure we'll drive to Dave's sister's house about an hour to the south, do some trading of her stuff for our stuff, and decide if we want to keep travelling from there, since we were both pretty beat. On I-15, we make it to 90th south before a car signals us to pull over. Apparently the emergency brake for the trailer had been on the entire time. while we're at the side of the road, the brake fluid line breaks (presumably from the heat from all the brakes?), and there is steam and smoke, and general chaos for a few minutes. So, between the inability to remove the emergency brake, no brake fluid, we call the rental agency. They promise to send someone out, and in the meantime, with the encouragement of a very friendly Highway Patrolman, we gimp off the freeway to the nearest empty parking lot (thankfully, very close by!) As luck would have it, there was also a sconecutters in this formerly Lowe's parking lot, and they serve 24/7. Since we really hadn't eaten since lunch, this was a welcome break. As we finish up eating, the help arrived. In his discussions with the rental agency, they came to the conclusion that we should drive back to the rental agency, and they would outfit us with a new trailer. and we were gimping our way back to 21st and redwood.
Stay tuned for tomorrow's chapter of this adventure:

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home